“Not Coming Back” by Daniel Rossen // Unreleased (2012)
Daniel Rossen has been a busy man this year, releasing an excellent EP (Silent Hour/Golden Mile) earlier this year, as well as contributing to the stellar album “Shields” from his band, Grizzly Bear. Not to be easily forgotten, Rossen has taken to posting outtakes from his EP sessions on his Soundcloud page. He describes the track as unfinished, but you’d never notice from the lovely, jangly rock that awaits. Sounding like it’s a few experimental flourishes from being a single from “Shields”, instead it’s a laid back folk rock jam with harmonies for days - stunning stuff. Rossen says that the track is a “wintery New York song”, but it’s warmth is felt through and through, like some friendly jam around a roaring campfire. Definitely worth a few dozen listens.
(Source: perfectmidnightworld / drossenbro)
One of my all time favorite movies!
Robert Redford, Brad Pitt and Tony Scott on-set of Spy Game (2001)
NEW MUSIC: Ben Gibbard - “Teardrop Windows” (first single from Former Lives)
Redesigning the American Dollar:
Why the size?
We have kept the width the same as the existing dollars. However we have changed the size of the note so that the one dollar is shorter and the 100 dollar is the longest. When stacked on top of each other it is easy to see how much money you have. It also makes it easier for the visually impaired to distinguish between notes.
Why a vertical format?
When we researched how notes are used we realized people tend to handle and deal with money vertically rather than horizontally. You tend to hold a wallet or purse vertically when searching for notes. The majority of people hand over notes vertically when making purchases. All machines accept notes vertically. Therefore a vertical note makes more sense.
Why different colors?
It’s one of the strongest ways graphically to distinguish one note from another.
Why these designs?
We wanted a concept behind the imagery so that the image directly relates to the value of each note. We also wanted the notes to be educational, not only for those living in America but visitors as well. Each note uses a black and white image depicting a particular aspect of American history and culture. They are then overprinted with informational graphics or a pattern relating to that particular image.
$1 – The first African American president
$5 – The five biggest native American tribes
$10 – The bill of rights, the first 10 amendments to the US Constitution
$20 – 20th Century America
$50 – The 50 States of America
$100 – The first 100 days of President Franklin Roosevelt. During this time he led the congress to pass more important legislations than most presidents pass in their entire term. This helped fight the economic crises at the time of the great depression. Ever since, every new president has been judged on how well they have done during the first 100 days of their term.
Make Your Own Alkaline Vitamin Water
Find yourself needing a vitamin boost?
Click here, for complete recipe and directions of my five signature colour-free, sugar-free and bpa plastic free alkaline vitamin waters or get inspired to make your own combinations.
- Recovery - This vitamin water is ideal for recovery post-workout or after a large bout of physical activity. Blackberries and Cherries aid in replenishing oxygen in the blood while pomegranate and glutamine help to restore and repair muscle tissue damage
- C*Power - This vitamin water gives you a boost of anti-viral and anti-inflammatory vitamin C. With natural citrus fruits and camu camu powder, c*power is ideal for boosting your immunity after an illness or just keeping your body empowered. This is an excellent combination for weight loss
- Stressless - This is my favourite combination, the blend of watermelon and rosemary is divine. This vitamin water is ideal for helping you balance stress on a mental and physiological level. With the addition of B vitamins, hydrating watermelon and calming rosemary this combination is best used during times of stress or intensity
- Digest It - Excellent for aiding in digestion and stimulating the colon and digestive tract. With the combination of pineapple’s digestive enzymes, soothing, cooling mint and warming ginger, stimulating lemongrass, immunizing lychee and probiotics this water will aid in internal balance
- Detox - Purify your blood and body with this awesome vitamin water! Detox is ideal for the morning after a night out or when you are cleansing. Created with hydrating coconut water, and fresh cucumber, nutrient rich coconut meat, detoxifying milk thistle and anti-oxidant loaded raspberries and blueberries, this combination will cleanse your body from the inside out
It simple, cheap and easy way to get your vitamins in a delicious and hydrating way.
Daniel Rossen - Graceland (Paul Simon Cover)
“Yet Again” by Grizzly Bear // Shields (Out 9.18.12 via Warp)
Grizzly Bear’s first taste of their forthcoming album, “Shields” was a bit of a twist. “Sleeping Ute” came on the heels of Daniel Rossen’s recent solo EP, and felt like it could have been an excerpt from that work. Being a fan of Rossen’s more elaborate compositions and prog leanings, I liked it, but friends and other blogs were not such fans. Now, in advance of the new album release, Grizzly Bear have released a second taster and I have a feeling that “Yet Again” is going to go over a little more smoothly. The track is a bit more of a straight up rock track, which is a nice shift from their usual more ethereal work. In the first half it actually calls to mind something The Decemberists would write, but more dynamic - and by the second half we get a full blown Radiohead style freak out. There is definitely an melancholic, folk vibe to it, but as always, it’s the harmonies that absolutely sell the track. I’m suddenly much more excited for the release of “Shields” next month.